Saturday, April 10, 2010

"Calling all Twilight Fans"

Oprah is inviting all Twilight fans to a taping of her show. To be in the audience, you can submit a 2000 words or less essay on how Twilight has changed your life, made a difference, etc. Here is my submission. That nice lady better pick me! This is the best essay I have ever written, and hardest because I was way over 2000 words!

Before the Twilight phenomenon, I was just your ordinary college student, working...at Barnes and Noble of all places. I HATED reading, ironic, I know. Why read when you could do other more important things,I had never liked reading. I knew how to and was good, but never did. While eating lunch in the breakroom at work, my friend sat down and said, "Here, read this." I shook my head without even looking up and said no. She explained it was about vampires and werewolves. I looked up and saw how massively large that book was and I really shook my head and told her to leave me alone. This went on for several weeks. I FINALLY cracked and read the first chapter of what would change my life, atleast for now, atleast until I own Breaking Dawn on DVD. I didn't put those books down. Breaking Dawn wasn't even published yet, but I still couldnt get enough. Now I found myself telling that same friend all the breaking news about the films, books, appearances, etc. I was officially obsessed. Funny enough though, I found myself reading not only Twilight and tabloids on Robsten (Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart) and Swiftner (Taylor Swift and Taylor Laugtner) but real books. Big books. Books with substance. Books by well known authors. Books that were in your Book Club. Twilight has made me an avid reader of everything and anything. Twilight has made me read things I would never dare touch.

My friends have thanked me over and over and apologized for not trusting me when I said "These books are GOOD!" I find myself begging my dad to take me to where he grew up most of his life, Seattle, just so that we can make a detour south to a little town called Forks. I sport my, "Making it Sprinkle So You Won't Sparkle" shirt all around town. Of course, I always find myself making a Twilight reference. When it thunders here in Texas, I wonder whose playing baseball. My husband,well...I'll just leave it at that.

Oprah, I'm 23 years old, happily married, and OBSESSED with Twilight!!!

No comments: